22 Feb 16
Renting an apartment at the busiest time of the year
The first few months of the year are the busiest time for those looking to rent an apartment in Auckland - largely because this is when the students descent on Auckland.
If you're looking to find something you like, take a look at these tips below to help you into the apartment that you're looking for.
- If you're not from Auckland, take a walk around the City first - we have many different area each with their own charms and benefits. Do you want something right next to Auckland Uni or do you prefer something closer to trendy Ponsonby or Britomart?
- When viewing apartments online, have a clear budget in mind - if you're not quite sure if your budget will work in Auckland, have a look at LOTS of apartments online, this will help you get an idea of what you might be able to afford
- Do you need a car park? If your apartment doesn't have one, you can usually rent one nearby - but these generally rent for around $60 per week
- Once you've seen something you like, make sure you double check things like furnishings and the date it's available from
- Make sure you're aware of the move in costs - generally 4 weeks bond, 2 weeks rent in advance and 1 week letting fee + GST
- Download your application straight from the website - bring it to the viewing with your passport - sometimes you need to be quick and this is the quickest possible way to apply
- Book your viewing time online, you'll need to see the apartment before you apply - no booking times yet? Just pop your details in and you'll be notified as soon as we have one
- If you're absolutely happy with the apartment you've seen - apply straight away, once you've applied we'll hold it for you until the application is process, if you wait then someone else will likely apply
For more tips and tricks, take a look at our TIPS AND ADVICE FOR TENANTS page.